Monday 15 February 2016

Living up to one's stereotype

First, this story: "A Spanish civil servant who failed to turn up for work for "at least" six years has been caught after becoming eligible for a long service award." But perhaps he deserved it: "They said he did go to the office, although not for full business hours every day, and that he dedicated himself to reading philosophy." That's a lot of philosophy.

Second, the Bar Council, which seems to have two slogans, "Integrity. Excellence. Justice" and "Justice for All", has turned its attention to one of the key issues at the intersection of climate science and the pursuit of justice:
Third, Bernie Sanders supporters"a green-eyed aspiring glassblower with a black beard and blue bandana on his head, told me. ... “I am a feminist,” said Sean Mitchell, a bearded political-science major with a ski ticket hanging off his jacket, whose fraternity marched for Men Against Violence Against Women Month. (He chose the frat in part because of its progressive orientation.) ... a women’s studies major at the University of New Hampshire ... A 20-year-old sustainable-agriculture major"I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

And then they say such fantastic things: "Patriarchy is something I think about a lot", "I’ve had friends say to me, ‘As a woman of color, why would you vote for a cis white male?’”", "Being an intersectional feminist, I want equality for people of every gender, race, color, and social standing" and "I know I enjoy white privilege".

No comments:

Post a Comment